Tuesday, May 29, 2012

On Memorial Day, But For Mothers Day (Better Late Than Never)

This is just like us except for all of the ways that it is not.
Happy Memorial Day! War is a nightmare. Veterans are remarkable. Grilling is not my thing.

But I do like to do something on Memorial Day. And today I didn’t do anything particularly Memorial Day-like because I have a baby. (Drink!*)

I was supposed to meet El in the park to enjoy Nature and cheese and other wonderful things, but it was too difficult for me to coordinate with the needs of this (amazing and wonderful and I’m so grateful to have him...) newborn of mine.

I have become The Miranda in our co-defriendent relationship. Let me back up. I realize it's been tens of years since Sex and the City was a TV show, but I think many women currently in their 30's still have the habit of classifying themselves as variations on those characters. With full self-awareness and a healthy amount of self-loathing that I am even bringing this up, I share that I am now The Miranda (when she had a baby and was suddenly unable to attend brunches and fun gatherings in the easy-peasy way in which she used to and therefore felt like a totally unrecognizable version of herself and a bit of a social outcast who wore stretchy pants with flowy over-garments). Obviously, the only things that I actually have in common with Miranda are the baby, the Type A personality and the sarcasm. I am not a red-headed lawyer with a full-time nanny. And El, if we are to keep this pop-culture metaphor going, is not Samantha shoving me into a cab home with my baby, or Charlotte projecting all of her baby issues onto me or even Carrie balking at the site of my giant, lacta-boobs. Actually, she's totally the Carrie, then. But she is an awesome Carrie who is amazing with babies and does not wear skinny belts around her bare midriff.

But, people, I’m pretty sure my point is that this motherhood thing is really tricky. So I am feeling very grateful for my mother and all the moms I know who, at this moment, are doing their best to make it work. And I am very grateful for all the cool people I know without babies who try to help new moms not feel like total weirdos. And also Veterans.

Happy Mom-orial Day!

XO,
Mel

* If you came to our last show, you would understand The Baby/Boyfriend Drinking Game. If you want to learn about that and other fun things, come to OUR NEXT SHOW which is coming up on Thursday, June 14th!

No comments: